I am using a single-transaction-per-request pattern - in my case I want to
rollback the transaction even if there was a ui error - that way the user
isnt confused as to why he got an error but the changes got saved.

When I was using h3 I had a

Interface hibernatesessionlocator() {
        session getsession();
        void markrollback();
        boolean hassession();
}

I have an implementation of it that upon the first request to getsession()
creates a session, begins a transaction, and sticks the session into a
request attribute.

The app can retrieve a session or mark it for rollback using the locator.

Then I had a filter that would at the end of the request either rollback or
commit the transaction and close the session.

The only diff with ejb3 is that you don't need the locator to create
entitymanager/transaction as it is done for you.

-Igor