Implementation wise this is definately better, OIR - again -, base it on DataView and no extra lines. If you can read the markup much better - I do not want to have that in the code. To which extend can you add attribute modifiers or other things you could add to a row dataItem?

Remains one thing with Phil's approach the Model has the final word on the columns count as it has now with the rows. I think we should keep this in parallel. Today there was this case with trip-booking where the column count was only determined by the model. Maybe still accept lists or collections in the iterator.

I think it also depends on paging Johan has asked there for some feedback.

Christian

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:06:44 -0700, Igor Vaynberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Or we can use the body markup to render the inside of each cell...
-Igor

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Igor Vaynberg
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 2:00 PM
To: wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Wicket-user] Re: ColumnedDataProvider
startIndex problems

How about this idea:
We have a gridview extends dataview. A gridview takes a
render interface that it uses to render the grid (instead of
body markup), so we can have a tablerenderer or cssrenderer
or whatever, and the interface would roughly look like this:

Interface IGridRenderer {
        begin(GridView view);
        beginRow(GridView view);
        beginCell(GridView view);
        endCell(GridView view);
        endRow(GridView view);
        end(GridView view);
}

Basically this is the same as my first post that inserted the
html directly but now its tucked away in a renderer. This way
we don't have the unnceessary row-wise views and you can even
use OIR cleanly since it is basically a dataview.

-Igor

also explained
> in the previous email why
> DataView.setFirstIndex() will not work. This should all be
refactored
> into a new component that is column-aware instead of having to use
> ColumnedDataProvider like we do now. I don't think there is
a cleaner
> way.
>
> Gili

Christian Essl