You cannot really compare wicket to tapestry. Although they are both component oriented frameworks, they have completely different approaches. In wicket the focus is on java code not on the template. Wicket templates are simple and limited (purposefully) where as tapestry allows for a lot more customization from within the template. Wicket's approach makes sure all your logic is kept in code. That is the wicket way.

-Igor