> do you really want that seperating also in the html?
>  (with all those spans?)

No, not sure it's what I definitely want, I'm still in the
brainstorming process, as I said.

>  Looking at youre example and guessing what the smartform (and the button in
> it does)
>  IT is the same, the smart form is just the holder of the components just as
> i said my List object inside a button would be.
>  It is just a bit different composition of things.

Yes, it is some kind of holder with some interesting behaviour.
As a Wicket component, I thought that it was "cool" that this
component can decide if it wants to participate to the current
validation or not, based on the propagateValidation flag and on the
button(s)/action(s) that triggered the global/real html form submit.

>  I do see something in this (don't know how manu people would really use
> this but it would be nice)
>  What i don't like is that you also has to specify it in html. I would like
> to do that pure in java.
>  (so a smart form is not a Wicket component)

I understand that SmartForm is not directly bound to an html item, but
I wanted it to be like a Border ... so that it has the power to
participate in the standard validation / rendering flow.

I think we definitely arrive at the time where I have to suggest some
code base (be it a patch toward the core, or some Components
extensions, or a mix of the two with, as Eelco suggests, a patch
toward core that could provide hooks to do the rest in third party
libraries ...)

Hope this will come soon,

--
Laurent