we are a 'relaxed' in most places for those checks.
If you could have a simple test case (java file and html file) which also should work in the relaxed mode
please make a bug report for this and attach the 2 files.

i did change the error to the outside world a bit better:

WicketMessage: Expected close tag for '<span wicket:id="exampleTitle">' Possible attempt to embed component(s) '<span wicket:id="test">' in the body of this component which discards its body

So now  you see what component it renders currently. And what component it suddenly did find and did not expect.

johan