> why would you want to be convinced? :)

Because I *am* interested in trying it in a new project but I guess
I'm bull-headed and stubborn...and I'm not entirely convinced it's
useful enough yet.

> i dont know, i would use hibernate. it is evolving at a higher velocity then
> the spec and it has features i miss like the criteria api and custom types.

It is, but that can be both a blessing and a curse - you're sure to
have long-term compatibility with the spec.  I miss the Criteria API
myself, I was mildly disappointed when I learned that EJB3 wouldn't
have it.  However, there have been plenty of cases in my own projects
where the Criteria API was clumsy and unsuited for the task compared
to HQL.  I could not say the same for HQL vs Criteria API in
reverse...I haven't found an instance where HQL/EJB-QL (in EJB3) was
awkward, leaving me with a need for Critiera-style queries.

> the idea of running an application server just to get persistence sickens
> me.

Wow!  Why?  I was using Tomcat before working on these EJB3 projects
and moving to JBoss 4.0.x...and I can't say I've seen a drawback.  On
the contrary - it's nice to have all of the services available to me
when I want or need them (sound familiar ;)  In addition to
persistence I'm using the Timer service, Transactions, JAX-WS, and
more....and if I want it I have simple clustering, messaging
(MDBs)...and all the other features I'm either not using or even aware
of.  I think JBoss is slowly changing people's perceptions that a
container is a huge dump truck and everything else is a Ferrari.

Also, my boss likes to blow a lot of money on support contracts - I
figured we'd always have that opportunity here.