pdf generation and that kind of stuff should be done in a seperate thread.
Else you could have browser just time out your request. And with an ajax call/progress bar it is also much nicer.

FileUpload would be a thing that we can optimze (if that is not already the case or something like that) that the pure upload doesn't block the session yet.

But i guess if you want you can go around the session sync
just make your own RequestTarget resolver (IRequestTargetResolverStrategy) and don't return a session sync.