You should use AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior for this. Then you
can just get your model object. Your model object has to be something
that is update-able though. Currently you use a string, which is read
only. Do e.g. something like this:

    public class SampleTextArea extends TextArea {

        private String text;

        public SampleTextArea(String id) {
            super(id);
            setModel(new PropertyModel(this, "text"));
            add(new AjaxFormComponentUpdatingBehavior("onchange"){

                protected void onUpdate(AjaxRequestTarget target) {
                    System.out.println("text: " + text);
                }
            });
        }

       public String getText(){ return text; }

       public void setText(String text) { this.text = text; }