I've been successful w/ exactly what Iman is concerned with - keeping
objects alive between requests just isn't necessary.  With
detachable-models, you can request your POJOs - and they effectively
become detached (outside of Hibernate session context).  You can pass
them between pages and persist them (putting them back into Hibernate
session context) by using merge() if you've updated their values.

I often save a round-trip by doing this w/ parent/child pages where I
pass the POJO to the detail page to view the child after it had
already been detached from the parent page.