this is not a requiremenet of wicket per se but that of the servlet containers. anything you keep in http session must be serializable. since wicket keeps most of its entities in session they must be serializable.

when you set level to debug you tripped this:
HttpSessionStore:47
public void setAttribute(Request request, String name, Object value)
{
// Do some extra profiling/ debugging. This can be a great help
// just for testing whether your webbapp will behave when using
// session replication
if (log.isDebugEnabled())

the code inside the if block will try to serialize whatever you are trying to put into session immediately so there are no surprises during replication.

there is no alternative as far as i know, simply a requirement that must be followed when dealing with java webapps and storing things in session.

-Igor