In web.xml:

<!--
      There are three means to configure Wickets configuration mode and they are
      tested in the order given.
      1) A system property: -Dwicket.configuration
      2) servlet specific <init-param>
      3) context specific <context-param>
      The value might be either "development" (reloading when templates change)
      or "deployment". If no configuration is found, "deployment" is
the default.
-->
        <context-param>
          <param-name>configuration</param-name>
          <param-value>development</param-value>
        </context-param>

This is used in WebApplication.internalInit. Alternatively, can can
call Application.configure in your own Application's init method.

btw, the name spacing isn't great. Maybe we should consider
introducing some name space, like wicket.configuration or something
like that.

Eelco