Matej's tree (in extensions in 1.2 and the main project in 2.0) is
such a tree too. It doesn't have the popups you are talking about, so
you'd have to investigate how much work that would be. Probably quiet
doable.

Adopting a tree from e.g. DOJO is something you can do too. We don't
have such a tree in one of our projects right now, but maybe someone
else did this before - if you're reading this, please speak up :).
Depending on how comfortable you are with Wicket and programming in
general, and how generic you want your tree to be, building such a
tree from scratch will be a few days work.

Eelco