This is how WicketTestCase does it and it is used in hundreds of tests

                application = new WicketTester(null);
                application.setHomePage(pageClass);

                // Do the processing
                application.setupRequestAndResponse();
                application.processRequestCycle();

                assertEquals(pageClass,
application.getLastRenderedPage().getClass());

                // Validate the document
                String document =
application.getServletResponse().getDocument();

Juergen