no it is not possible. i actually needed the same functionality recently and so i noticed this shortcoming as well. please file an rfe for 1.3 and i will add it in...right now i cant because it will break the api.

in the meantime what i did was write an ajax poller that is similar to the timer behaviors but allows me to stop it, its only a few lines of code...i will check if i can release it monday if you would like. its not exactly what you want but it might be a good starting point.

-Igor

respond(target) { if (continuepolling()) { target.addjavascript(