The wiki page is maybe a bit too general in saying "If you are
authoring a page, you don't need (and shouldn't use) <wicket:head>
tags but instead put it in the page's head section directly."

I think what it's trying to say is to use the "<head>" section
directly where possible, i.e. if the page is a simple page or a "base
page".

/Gwyn

Download Wicket 1.2.1 now! - http://wicketframework.org