Igor Vaynberg wrote:
afaik it should be ok, where does it say otherwise?
Well, on the wiki it said today: " If you are authoring a page, you don't need (and shouldn't use) <wicket:head> tags but instead put it in the page's head section directly.". But Eelco edited the wiki page today, and modified it to:

"The <wicket:head> pair can be used in Panels, Borders and Fragments, and is used for doing a 'header contribution', meaning that the contents will be written to the <head> section of the page the component is placed in. If you are authoring a normal page, you don't need <wicket:head> tags but instead put it in the page's head section directly. The exception to this is when you use markup inheritance, and one of the pages to extend wants to contribute to the header of some extending page, and the header is not part of the <wicket:extend> region. In that case, you can use <wicket:head>. "

Problem solved!

-Igor