JackRabbit looks very interesting, I'll have to download and play with
it. I'm not convinced it's ideal for every application though, maybe let
the plug-in decide what persistence method it wants/needs?

Your other points are well taken as well. I assume there will be a lot
of rewrites to fix those issues before anything would be finalized.

Troy