I am working on something like this too but looks like a kind of a _javascript_ affair. But my own strategy is :

I have a Div wrapping an image of the keypads (am doing mine for mobile phone keys).

I have a DIV wrapping an image and then use the onClick attribute to call a _javascript_ event which will automatically show the key letter on a Label or even textfield. But if yu want AJAX involved where the server does instant validation or something, then wicket will need to come in.

Wicket behaviors is just a wrapper for so many _javascript_ stuffs. Meaning that you cant extend wicket behavior without been comfortable in _javascript_.

I would love some day to have something like GWT integration with wicket where you can even use java to develop a wide range of behaviors that will render on the client side as _javascript_.

//this will render as _javascript_ into the browser

@RenderType.Client(name="hello") //hello will be an invocation function name within the browser
public class HelloClient {
 public HelloClient(){
  JSCall.alert("Hello Client"); //this will use something like GWT compiler to translate to browser at deploy time.
}
}

and then in a Wicket Page

Label label = ....

label.add(new XXXEvent("onclick", new HelloClient()));

OR

label.add(new AttributeModifier("onclick",true,"hello");

or something

maybe Wicket 3.0 :)