there is no "one" way that is considered the best. wicket is code-centric so you can adapt it to your coding style.

personally - i would have the panel be abstract and have an abstract onclick() which the link would forward to. then in this onclick i would set the page - that way your reusable panel doesnt need to know anything about the page and you can do

add(new MyCustomPanel("panel") { void onclick() { setResponsePage(MyPage.class); } }

or

add(new MyCustomPanel("panel") { void onclick() { setResponsePage(new MyPage(some params)); } }

but to the panel its all the same.

-Igor