why the hell would you want to add something random into _javascript_ and css? those are static 99% of the time! if it by default appended the last_modified file date i would be much more impressed

but this is also a bit stupid. The last modified file date is already used for caching resources
That IE and FF? dont check for those kind of what they already think are always static resources is just their implementation.
You don't have to clear the cache. Just do a hard refresh (what is it CTRL-SHIFT-REFRESH?)
Then it should work fine. I alwasy do that when i change CSS on the backend (and the last modified timestamp is changed for that css file)

Then a version number in the file looks better to me.

johan