Especially the determination of differences between object graphs might get complex. By the way, it might be useful to look at Hibernate and JDO because these tools do something similar, detecting changes made to an object-graph and performing the appropriate (minimal) updates (changes) towards a database. I think we are looking at something of the same complexity here.

its easier for hibernate because it can cheat on collections - collections are hibernate proxies so it knows when you add/remove.

but yes with field access it has to do similar dirty checking, with property access it can use the proxy to do this.

It looks like I will be meeting Gavin King tomorrow or the day after that and would be curious to hear how he would approach this problem since a similar problem was already solved by Hibernate. Just have a look at appendix B2 in "HIbernate in Action" where he explains the Interceptor and Inspection approaches to dirty checking. Looks like hibernate uses the inspection approach as well. Perhaps we can extract a common library out of that.

that would be nice.

-Igor

Then nobody has to make undo change objects or call model changing. it is fully automatic.

As a user I would be thrilled.

johan