Hi Eelco,

I did not feel irritated by your answers and I apologize for having let
you think I was. I understand perfectly your position and I acknowledge
the immense amount of work there is behind Wicket and I want to thank
every one working on it for making such a smart framework available.

I am building a demo/prototype application for a big french
administration and I want to convince them that they should add Wicket
to the list of their accepted technologies. That's why I need features
that are 100% functionnal. If a feature is only 99% functionnal, it's
probably better not to mention it because somebody will certainly
pinpoint the 1% that is causing problem, making others forget about the
working 99%.

So, what I am trying to do is helping to find the cause of the problem
and (may be) a solution. At this time, I am using a normal link to
switch locales and I have removed all accented characters in the
datapicker french strings and saved the file in ascii. I am working to
find on a better workaround.

Regarding UTF8, this is (in my opinion) not a good solution. AFAIK, it
as been designed to suit the needs of english language applications
where only a few exotic foreign characters have to be usable. It's main
advantage is that the data is nearly the same size as ascci for this
kind of use. I think UTF16 is a much better solution, even if it is not
100% perfect since it can't represent all characters needed in all
languages. Next UNICODE encoding will be 32 bits, which will be enough
for all characters of all languages in the galaxy. We will then have to
design an extension for the rest of the universe ;-)

Cheers,

Pierre-Yves