Hi All,

since im working now several days with NB and JPA1.0 i think i can give some hints.:

First: DONT USE NB 5.5 BETA 1 or 2, use the DEV daily build instead ! - best the one from 29 09 2006 or 30 09 2006, as the Beta's have problems in creating entitys from DB in case of Many to Many relation and additional paramters within as well as some other flaws...

if you use the dev daily build... you will just want to forget eclipse and dali ! - its so smooth, fast.. in fact, the time you need to download and install the 200 MB + eclipse and plugins, youre already running in NB (small 42 MB) and also have your first JPA already running..

however, NB 5.5 has 1 big flaw: the java editor... compared to eclipse its abaout 1 year behind, very sad IMHO.

some things you also might want to remind when working with JPA:
- currently prefer Toplink Essentials over Hibernate, as Hibernate is only RC and is very unstable
- NB55: when entitys are created, the EJB QL will take the parameters from the Java environment, not the DB, as well as vars are written in lowercase even if they are uppercase in DB:

e.g:

@Entity
public class Foo {

private xxx Bar; <-- even this is treated as lowercase !!!

setBar( Bar) {}
getBar () {}
}

-> query might be: "delete c from Foo c where c.bar = 'something'"
and also dont forget to use .executeQuery() in case of bulk operations :)

- currently PostgreSQL's serials are a problem, as they arent used by NB entity creation... means much handwork.

- NB 5.5 dev has also still not the ability to autoamticall do more than 1 persistence Unit, if you need more (like me) you have to edit the persistence.xml by yourself

- right click on project and "Add Persistence" will give you a very fast start - not elegant, but hey, you see how it works

- same is with EJB3 code for obtaining JNDI :) - ok, this is not hard, but hey, most programmers are lazy...

Regards,

Korbinian