We advise you to not do this until you are absolutely sure you need
it, especially as a newbie to the framework. "Obvious" reasons are not
so obvious in a Wicket context.

 - packaging your components in a jar
 - having to mimick the package/directory structure
 - looking up your HTML (which is tightly coupled to your Java file)
in a separate directory
 - other resources such as properties files, where should they go?

Martijn

On 1/22/07, nilo.de.roock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very newbie on Wicket. I am reading the Pro Wicket book. I want the
> .java and .html page files in two different directories for obvious reasons.
> I read the following in the book:
>
> "The HTML template needs to be in the same package as the corresponding Page
> class.
> An internal Wicket component that is entrusted with the job of locating the
> HTML markup
> corresponding to a Page looks for the markup in the same place as the Page
> class. Wicket
> allows you to easily customize this default behavior though. ... "
>
> I get completely lost here:
>
> "... All user pages typically extend
> Wicket's WebPage-a subclass of Wicket's Page class. There needs to be a
> one-to-one correspondence
> between the HTML elements with a wicket:id attribute and the Page
> components. The
> HTML template could in fact be termed as a view with the actual component
> hierarchy being
> described in the Page class. Wicket components need to be supplied with an
> id parameter and
> an IModel implementation during construction (some exceptions will be
> discussed in the section
> "How to Specify a CompoundPropertyModel for a Page." The component's id
> value must
> match the wicket:id attribute value of the template's corresponding HTML
> element. Essentially,
> if the template contains an HTML text element with a wicket:id value of
> name, then the
> corresponding wicket's TextField instance with an id of name needs to be
> added to the Page
> class. Wicket supplies components that correspond to basic HTML elements
> concerned with
> user interaction. Examples of such elements are HTML input fields of type
> text, HTML select,
> HTML link, etc. The corresponding Wicket components would be TextField,
> DropDownChoice,
> and Link, respectively. ..."
>
> What I would like to know is in a For Dummies sort of explanation what I
> have to do to be able to seperate .html and .java.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> kind regards,
> nilo de roock
>
> --

Vote for Wicket at the http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/vote_for/wicket
Wicket 1.2.4 is as easy as 1-2-4. Download Wicket now!
http://wicketframework.org