Absolutely !, thanks a lot Igor, I'll try it right now. I agree that is an
uncommon use case and it doesn't deserve an api change and a custom solution is
what is needed.

Jaime.

Igor Vaynberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: ok, this is a bit tricky but is def
doable. i dont think this is a very common usecase, so i dont think we will
create all the factories/etc for you to be able to do this out of the box
because in most cases it will just be api bloat.

that said, although not trivial it is still def very possible

start with extending the autocompletebehavior
override getcallbackurl and do something like
return
super.getcallbackurl()+"+'&limiter='+document.getelementbyid('someid').value");

so now whenever the url is invoked for the autocomplete it will also contain a
"limiter" param whose value will be the value of that textfield - make sure
someid is the id of that textfield.

then simply create your own component, or add the behavior directly to a
textfield, see AutoCompleteTextField source - its rather trivial.

now in your getchoices() you can do getrequest().getparameter("limiter") and
that will give you that extra value you need to filter

make sense?

-igor

 On 3/26/07, Jaime De La Jara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Basically what I need
is to narrow the possible choices of the autocomplete field, depending on the
value the user entered in the other field (which is a normal field).
This is a user requirement to simplify their data entry, in this case the
normal field is an invoice number and the autocomplete field corresponds to the
vendor name, so if the user enters invoice number 0189, and in the autocomplete
he types "E" the list displayed should show only the vendors whose name start
with an "E" and
have an invoice numbered 0189.
Thanks,