Ok, let me try to explain another way.

If you create a page where you use the radio component. The radios represent
various kinds of datasets(OLAP cubes in this case but it does not really
matter).

On monday the 1. march you record with jmeter your test case(jmeter only
records the http requests). In your test case you must select the retirement
dataset (which has the value "radio5" on the html page).

Some time has passed now and you want to run your jmeter test, but on your page
some of the datasets has been removed (they wasnt needed or was not allowed to
be shown). So now the page no longer contains the radio with the value radio5,
and your jmeter test will fail because wicket cant find the radio(another error
scenario would be if the radios changed order).

So if radio component allowed the use of Ichoicerenderer, it could generate the
value based on the id of the ichoicerenderer for the particular dataitem. This
would bring better persistance to the radios. At least when testing with jmeter.

Did I do a better job explaining?:)

Some could argue that it's not issue, but it would be very handy to have the
ability to use the ichoicerender with every component that makes use of the
value attribute in inputs(havent thought it through though). Because it would
make it easier to use tools as jmeter.

I would suggest that to avoid nameclashing we could use the components
name.getIdValue as value attribute. I am aware that this would bring in a
possible vuernability, if duplicate items are inserted and that could cause
problems i guess?

regards Nino