> you did not convince me at all.

Not for the usage, but the implementation.

> i also just tweaked it a
> bit so you might want to see comments on the jira.

I more liked your first implementation (rev. 527614). Maybe a general hook
(into components/pages with own markup) into the same location as your
change would allow to modify any XmlTags programmatically? Something like

  public interface IXmlTagModifier {
    XmlTag modifyTag(XmlTag tag, String wicketNamespace);
  }

and a possible implementation in our code base

  public final class WicketIdXmlTagModifier implements IXmlTagModifier {
    // convert tags of form <tag wicket:id=":bar"> to <wicket:bar>
    public XmlTag modifyTag(XmlTag tag, String namespace) {
      final String wicketIdAttr = namespace + ":id";
      final String wicketId = tag.getAttributes().getString(wicketIdAttr);
      if (Strings.isEmpty(wicketId) || !wicketId.startsWith(":") {
        return tag;
      }

      final XmlTag modifiedTag = tag.mutable();
      modifiedTag.setNamespace(namespace);
      modifiedTag.setName(wicketId.substring(1));
      modifiedTag.getAttributes().remove(wicketIdAttr);
      return modifiedTag;

Then you would not "pollute" your code, it would not have an influence on
other users who may already use a colon as first character in the
wicket:id and I would be flexible enough to do whatever I want with the
tag.

> and you are welcome

Good to know.

Tom