What's the stack trace you get when you use normal serialization? It should
point you to an offending field.

If you only get it with JCL, there is probably something in JCL that isn't
serializable. You should consider either making it a static variable,
getting it only when you need it (don't hold a reference, which is probably
quite inefficient), or store it as a transient field, and initiatlize it
lazily (check on null) so that it won't be serialized. More work but safe.
If you choose the latter, be sure to always do the null check, as
serializaing/ deserializing will null the reference.

Eelco