So I have to register my AJAX stuff with a particular behavior? That is what
I suspected, but I'm having trouble figuring out where/how that takes place.
The examples don't bother with this since they're using the default classes.
Something googlable besides "wicket ajax behavior" would point me in a good
direction...

well, i see what is going on. you copied the class rather then subclassing.
the behavior is made to work with that class, and that is why that line
fails. so you will have to create your own behavior that looks for your
class instead.

-igor