that should be simple, although my wicket is bit rusty at the moment, I
think

final TextField tx = new TextField("cell", new
PropertyModel(values[row][col],"data"));
 tx.add(new IValidator(){
     public void validate(FormComponent fc){

     if(fc.getValue() is greater than 20){
       fc.add(new AttributeModifier("style",true, new
Model("background-color: #FF0000;")));
       fc.error("error.toolongvalue",null);
     }else{
     fc.add(new AttributeModifier("style",true, new
Model("background-color: normal-color;")));

 });
item.add(tx);

something like dat...just buzz around