The way it sounds is that principal should really be renamed to role.  Roles
typically have 0 or more permissions.

Although if you consider the hive as a mapping of roles to permissions then
you are really back to what I said earlier where swarm is handy if your
application pre-defines the roles that are available.

-Craig