> A subject is the root/ abstract entity for a user, principals are
> views or identities of a subject and in JAAS you would represent a
> role as a principal.

I agree with your statement which leads me to the fact that the principal
should really be a role in swarm and the hive file is a mapping of a role to
given permissions and actions.  So back to what I said before, swarm is
really nice when you have an application with pre-defined roles instead of
an application that is more fluid and tenants can create their own structure
of roles.

-Craig