True you can't do setModel(foo) and expect your instantiation check to
work. Which imho is perfectly logical if you want to use your model in
the instantiation check you need to pass it in the constructor.

As for the example
We have a search page for students, uppon clicking on one of those
students, you go to a detail page for that student. that page also
contains several tabs to go to other relevant pages for the student
(like it's school grades). on these pages we made a quicksearch
function with contains amongst other things 2 buttons to navigate
forth and back between the searchresults of the search page, while
keeping the same view. Suppose i have sufficient rights to see the
detail pages of all students but only enough rights to see the grades
of my own students.

So if i make the search wide enough to get all students and then
select one of my own, going to the grades. That's fine. But if i then
navigate to another student i am not allowed to see the grades
(creating a new instance of the grades page in the process) i need to
know if the page in combination with the student is allowed, because
the page itself is basically allowed.

Maurice