On Monday, July 23, 2007, 8:29:52 PM, Matthias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But anyway, what I still haven't decided is which ORM (if any) framework
>   that I should go with. I have previously developed an in-house ORM
> system which has all the basic features I need (lazy-loading, easy
> population of beans, an object-oriented query language etc.), but I'm
> well aware of that I did it to begin with because I was afraid of
> letting go of my precious sql statements. Not having perfect control of
> the generated sql statements would be hard, but I guess I just have to
> wake up and realize that perhaps in these days it doesn't really matter
> if an sql statement or two could be optimized if you were to perform the
> joins in this way instead or whatnot.

Wicket's not tied to any ORM, so you could still use your own if you
wanted - See the wicket-phonebook app for an example that's got a
couple of implementations in there.

Whichever you choose, the key concept you'll be wanting to investigate
is "Detachable Models" though!  As for specific ORMs, I've tended to
stick with IBatis, as I've also found Hibernate too black-box-like,
whereas to me, IBatis is much simpler & clearer...

(Two others that I've heard good things about are Cayenne & Mr.
Persister, but I've not used either yet.)

/Gwyn