Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on qtl, but maybe the following can help.

Step 4 - What else did you put in case.inq besides 6 for QSPLIT on line 3?

1 for natom on line 2?

2 for iatom on line 3?

1 2 nL1 d on line 4 set for only d orbital?

Step 5 - case.cf_d_eg_t2g is labeled for eg.  It looks like you need to manually adjust the file for a1g. Currently, I cannot help you with that as I don't know what the unitary transformation matrix would be for that.  If someone else in the list knows, perhaps they will respond.  Though, obtaining the appropriate unitary transformation matrix seemed to be left to the WIEN2k user (scientific researcher) to determine [2,3].

Step 6 - Is your Linux terminal command correct for "cp"?  I would expect it to be something similar to:

cp $WIENROOT/SRC_templates/case.cf_d_eg_t2g V2O3.cf1

For nL1 = 1 above, I think UG (User Guide of WIEN2k 19.1, section 8.22.2, page 192 [1]) describes that you would need to use .cf1 file.

2 1 2 nL1 p d on line 4 instead as an example, I think UG describes need to have .cf1 file for p orbital and .cf2 file for d orbital.

Step 7 - What is the error message? Someone might have been able to suggest a solution if the error message had been provided.

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/usersguide.pdf
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg15958.html [3] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg09768.html