Stuart, we also know that there were women in the arts working in the
Renaissance and I wonder how many "Master of <name>" artists were
women. In fact, I once spent a long time trying to see if there was
any evidence that Geertgen tot Sint Jans was a man, because certain
aspects of his life seem quite confusing, but would make sense if "he"
was actually a "she". (I have since learned he was recorded in his
lifetime as a "he")
This is what makes Wikipedia valuable though - we can improve our
knowledge of history by updating such biographies as reliable sources
become available. What Gerard is asking is that we bring Wikidata up
to speed with the rest of the projects on the gender field for
biographies. Wikidata is just a reflection of Wikipedia: it is still a
wiki and it's OK to have mistakes, as long as we can keep on
correcting them. I would rather have the existing data to query than
no data at all, because otherwise how can I see the mistakes so I can
correct them? Article tracking through Wikidata will become a whole
lot easier than article tracking on Wikipedia through categories I
think.
Jane