h, 08/07/2014 13:49:
> This should also help sociolinguists to identify which languages
> [...] that
> are more developed than others in the Wikipedia sphere, and seeks
> explanations for their relative success/failure by contrasting the
> Wikipedia sphere and offline/online sphere.

Agreed on the importance of this (though I wouldn't restrict to
Wikipedia), and not only for researchers but also for editors to
self-assess. For many years our main tool has been sorting by "Editors
(5+) per million speakers" column in
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/Sitemap.htm , which however has two main
issues:
1) absurdly high number of editors in some editions makes some noise
though not tragic (classic example: Volapük; funny but doesn't really do
any harm);
2) irrealistic baseline of "speakers in millions" (which is not so
closely related to what happens on the wiki) means the rank mostly shows
how well those languages are doing on the internet, e.g. classic
dominance of Scandinavia and Israel and classic disuse of
Tagalog/Filipino (with some surprises like Northern Sami which clearly
has some strong supporters out there).

Realistic baselines would let me answer simple questions like whether
it.wiki is really doing better than de.wiki (35 vs. 33?!); given the
similarity of conditions, if not I may conclude there is a large
uncultivated land out there just waiting for some seeds (outreach to
people not knowing Wikimedia projects enough), if yes I may conclude
we've probably exhausted our natural resources and need to focus on
using them more efficiently.

Nemo