>________________________________

Hello all,

It looks like some of these are questions addressed by an ongoing research line
conducted by Kevin Crowston, Nicolas Jullien and me:

Sustainability of Open Collaborative Communities: Analyzing Recruitment
Efficiency

http://timreview.ca/article/646

Abstract: Extensive research has been conducted over the past years to improve
our understanding of sustainability conditions for large-scale collaborative
projects, especially from an economic and governance perspective. However, the
influence of recruitment and retention of participants in these projects has
received comparatively less attention from researchers. Nevertheless, these
concerns are significant for practitioners, especially regarding the apparently
decreasing ability of the main open online projects to attract and retain new
contributors. A possible explanation for this decrease is that those projects
have simply reached a mature state of development. Marwell and Oliver (1993)
and Oliver, Marwell, and Teixeira (1985) note that, at the initial stage in
collective projects, participants are few and efforts are costly; in the
diffusion phase, the number of participants grows, as their efforts are
rewarding; and in the mature phase, some
 inefficiency may appear as the number of contributors is greater than required
for the work.

In this article, we examine this possibility. We use original data from 36
Wikipedias in different languages to compare their efficiency in recruiting
participants. We chose Wikipedia because the different language projects are at
different states of development, but are quite comparable on the other aspects,
providing a test of the impact of development on efficiency. Results confirm
that most of the largest Wikipedias seem to be characterized by a reduced
return to scale. As a result, we can draw interesting conclusions that can be
useful for practitioners, facilitators, and managers of collaborative projects
in order to identify key factors potentially influencing the adequate
development of their communities over the medium-to-long term.

As for external data sources, we integrate in the analysis information from
UNESCO and OECD, among others.

Best regards,
Felipe.