I've noted Finland (as a country) before when looking at Erik's data -
IIRC, there's a vaguely normal-looking distribution of
pages-per-internet-user-per-month for the Western European countries,
and Finland is at the upper end but not a dramatic outlier, it's in a
group with eg Sweden, Austria, etc.

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportPageViewsPerCountryOverview.htm

This pattern has been around since at least 2012:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120922063053/http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportPageViewsPerCountryOverview.htm

(not sure why the 2012 per-country numbers are so much higher...)

Andrew.

On 16 March 2015 at 09:30, Oliver Keyes <oke...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Awesome work! It's interesting to see Finnish as the outlier here. Do
> we have any fi-users on the list who can comment on this and might
> know what's going on? (And, in the absence of Finns: Jan, heard
> anything from across the border? :p)
>
> The only caution I'd raise is that these numbers don't include spider
> filtering. Why is this important? Well, a lot of traffic is driven by
> crawlers and spiders and automata, particularly on smaller projects,
> and it can lead to weirdness as a result. With the granular pagecount
> files there's some work that can be done to detect this (for example,
> using burst detection and a few heuristics around concentration
> measures to eliminate pages that are clearly driven by automated
> traffic - see the recent analytics mailing list thread) but only some.
> I appreciate this is a flaw in the data we are releasing, not in your
> work, which is an excellent read and highly interesting :). I agree
> that understanding the lack of development in the PRC and ROK is
> crucial - we keep talking about the "next billion readers" but only
> talking :(
>
> On 16 March 2015 at 02:21, h <hant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>>     I have some findings to show the page views per Internet user
>> measurement may help comparing different language editions of Wikipedia.
>> Criticism and suggestions are welcome.
>>

>> -----
>> http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/2015/03/15/comparing-language-development-in-wikipedia-in-terms-of-page-views-per-internet-users/
>>
>> Which language version of Wikipedia enjoys the most page views per language
>> Internet user than expected? It is Finnish. In terms of absolute positive
>> and negative gap, English has the widest positive gap whereas Chinese has
>> the largest negative gap.

>> In particular, it is known that Wikipedia (and Google which often favours
>> Wikipedia) faces local competition in the People's Republic of China and
>> South Korea. Therefore it is understandable the page views may be lower in
>> Chinese and Korean Wikipedia language projects simply because some users'
>> need to read user-generated encyclopedias are satisfied by other websites.
>> However, it remains an important question to examine why these particular
>> Latin and Asian languages are under-developed for Wikipedia projects.

> --
> Oliver Keyes
> Research Analyst
> Wikimedia Foundation