I don't want to stop the conversation and just want to thank you all for
the great input so far. I have not been able to read it all yet, but I hope
I get to do it soon :-)

Jan

> > A few years ago the WMF did a survey of former editors, partly to
> > learn why they'd left. One of the most common responses was "I haven't
> left yet".
>
> With the benefit of hindsight (a wonderful thing), that might be a bad way
> to have asked the question. A better way might have been to ask why they
> are no longer active and what circumstances/change would be likely to make
> them active again. What we really want to know if the reasons for
> inactivity are internal/external to Wikipedia and whether the conditions
> for re-engagement are internal/external to Wikipedia. And for the internal
> ones, we'd like to know more specifically what they are.
>
> "I haven't left yet, but as soon as my new baby has started school, I
> might have the time for Wikipedia again" (i.e. the cause of inactivity  and
> return to activity is outside of Wikipedia's control).  There is not a lot
> Wikipedia can do about such a contributors.
>
> "I left because I was sick and tired of the unpleasant way people behave,
> but I enjoyed contributing otherwise and would do so again if the culture
> was a lot nicer" is something that WP has some control over but not
> something you can fix in an afternoon.
>
> "I left because I just found it too hard, I kept forgetting when to use [[
> and when to use {{ and I never figured out that <ref> thing" is someone
> that we could potentially re-engage on the spot by saying "hey, try the
> Visual Editor!".
>
> Or maybe "I haven't left yet" is more literally true than we think. It is
> possible that the person is still active on Wikipedia but under a different
> user name or as an IP so they just appear to have become inactive under
> their former user name. If a person has had some unpleasant experiences on
> Wikipedia and that is why they became inactive, there are a lot of good
> reasons why they might not like to return under the same user name.
> Wikipedia has an infinitely long memory for things like bans and blocks and
> watch lists last forever. If you got yourself in trouble previously but you
> want to start afresh, you probably want to create a new account. If you had
> bad experiences with some other user who was regularly unpleasant to you,
> you would want a new account as they can watch your User page and Talk page
> forever to detect if you ever return. *Changing* your user name doesn't
> solve that problem, creating a new account does. And of course you may just
> have forgotten your username or your password and created a new account.
>
> Personally, I am inclined to think that the "I haven't left yet" editors
> (who aren't active under another user name) are probably effectively lost
> to us. Some other interest has almost certainly chewed up their spare time
> during their absence from Wikipedia. There's a big gap between "I'm not
> saying No" to "I'm saying Yes".
>
> The other issue is that even if the desired circumstances for
> [...]

Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.