Jonathan, I didn't realize that there was another use for NEWT. (: It's a
little old though, and it appears to be specific to English Wikipedia, and
my personal feeling is that a need to disambiguate the editing interface
from an old research project is the lesser evil as compared to an acronym
that can't be easily pronounced.

Kerry, I think that until and unless WMF enables VE for talk pages (which I
hope that they will agree to experiment with doing), teaching new users to
edit talk pages with NWTE/NEWT is the best option available on wikis that
don't use Flow.

I'm sensitive to folks telling volunteers that we should be doing more
unpaid work, hence my admittedly strong reaction to your proposal about
mentoring. In an ideal world it would be nice to have more mentors, and I
think that adding paid staff to do some mentoring work would be a good use
of funds; the Wiki Ed Foundation seems to be successful with this approach,
and some affiliates also have a variety of training programs that they do
for Wikipedia editors and/or for others such as school teachers who will
then train others. I should also mention that WMF is developing training
for functionaries, and WMF has provided some grant or contract funding
projects where training is a focus such as the English Wikipedia Teahouse,
the Wikipedia Adventure, and the video series for which I'm largely
responsible. So it seems that WMF is sometimes willing to provide funding
for training, and I would encourage them to continue to do so.

Pine