Vandalism used to be dealt with entirely manually, then it became semi
automated with tools like huggle, nowadays much of it is rejected by the edit
filters without the vandals managing to save an edit. So while it is still a
problem, it is much less of a problem than it used to be. Far less gets through
to need human attention, and far less is actually seen by the readers. If it is
rejected by edit filters or held up by pending changes then it isnt seen by the
readers, we could do better, the German language Wikipedia has a much better
system called flagged revisions. But vandalism is much less of a problem than
it once was.

Against that we have an issue with IP contributions that newspapers and others
don’t have. We recruit our editing community by being easy to edit. One theory
of Wikipedia recruitment is that a large proprtion of new editors make an IP
edit or two before deciding to create an account, and that closing down IP
editing would reduce our recruitment of new editors. Of course that has to be
balanced against the possibility that we would get rid of lots of vandals. But
here we have to remember another theory, that  vandals and trolls will do the
minimum registration necessary to do their vandalism or trolling, but people
who were going to be helpful and point out a typo are easily deterred. Perhaps
someone on this list would fancy doing a research project on this, but I am
inclined to assume that the trend amongst news sites is to drop comments
sections entirely rather than merely restrict them to those who create an
account, and that this implies that the model of restricting comments to those
willling at least to create a throwaway account keeps more of the toxicity than
it does of the goodfaith contributions.

I have seen plenty of sites that have restricted comments further by requiring
new accounts to disclose an email address, and that step might be one that
deters a larger proportion of badfaith users than goidfaith ones. But I can’t
see Wikimedia making such a drastic step in reducing openness, especially with
2018 looking like a year of declining editor volumes with the rally of 2015/16
having ended.