Gerard,

To clarify, what grosses me out ("makes me uncomfortable") is the prospect
of third parties gathering and storing sensitive personal information about
individual Wikipedia editors without proper oversight mechanisms. Health
and medical data is one of the most sensitive kinds of individual data that
exists. In the United States, as in many other countries, access to this
information is heavily regulated--as it should be. Researchers who gather
this kind of data should be held to a very high standard of proof that they
will use the data responsibly, and take specific care to avoid information
leakage. Ideally, they should be held legally responsible for proper
behavior--and that depends heavily on their local jurisdiction and on their
own truthfulness and transparency--things the rest of us in the movement
have little control over. In my opinion, anyone who cares about both
science and ethics should always err on the side of avoiding harm
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_Report>--even if that sometimes
means refraining from asking research questions that have scientific merit
or that could yield practical community benefit.

To your comment about Clarice Phelps, I'm not aware of this individual (or
article?) and do not know what you are referring to. But I would caution
you not to make public speculative statements about the mental health
status of any editor, or make generalizations about the motivations or
actions of all people who you believe have particular mental
characteristics, based on specific incidents you have witnessed or
interactions you have had. If I have misread your statement, I apologize
for the error.

Best,
Jonathan