I really support this kind of thinking... I missed whatever follow-up
there was about this, but I love the concept of turning page blanking
actions into constructive edits, etc.

I think most vandalism is just people testing to see if they can really
edit (even after all these years of wiki, people don't believe it), and
if the filter pops up and says "hey, how are you? maybe you'd like to
spend your time more usefully, you might be happier that way" then most
people will respond well to it.