Web browser: ---
Bug #: 40307
Summary: mw.notification Usability Improvements
Mobile Platform: ---
The latest changes to mw.notification are here:
It's a step in the right direction; however, some changes would definitely
improve usability, as well as consistency with other notifications that users
are accustomed to . E3 implemented a notification that addresses some of
the concerns below  and measured positive results, but it's better to merge
these ideas into the current mw.notification, which is more comprehensive.
1. Positioning flexibility. Currently, the position might be obtrusive to the
reader since the notification lays over the text. Adding some flexibility would
let us test out different positions to measure which is least obtrusive to the
reading experience while still being noticeable.
2. Affordance improvement. Clicking an entire notification to close it is not a
typical pattern for notifications; usually you click the entire message if it
is actionable (e.g. it leads you to another screen). The entire message should
only be clickable if it's actionable, otherwise there should be a dismissal
affordance/icon visible to the user
Plenty of examples of this out there; see .
3. Icon support. Icons improve the scan-ability of a notification and let you
know where it's coming from, whether or not you can safely ignore it, or just
give fast visual feedback to a user without forcing them to read a small
message. They can be especially helpful for anyone with vision issues. Again,
lots of precedents on this. See .
1. Make the position of the notification configurable. The definite desired
positions are North ('N'), North East ('NE'), South East ('SE') and South West
('SW'), relative to the entire viewport.
2. Remove the "click entire message to close" functionality and provide a
"close icon" option.
3. Make the inclusion of a fixed-size icon configurable (defaults to false).
Configure bugmail: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug.
You are on the CC list for the bug.
Wikibugs-l mailing list