On 23 May 2012 13:19, Daniel Kinzler <daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> On 23.05.2012 13:14, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
>> If we assume that in practice #data-template is usually going to be wrapped
>> into
>> a template, what's the point of having it at all? Do you see any technical
>> reasons for it?
>
> How else do you pass a complex object to a template and make its properties
> show
> up as template parameters?

I think I might have adressed that in my comment on the wiki. See
there, but essentially I believe it is technically equally valid, and
from a usability and community adoption standpoint far preferable, to
simply support a syntax to adress properties of the complex object,
and have the resolver of this syntax automatically pull the entire
complex wikidata object (of which the property is a part) into a
cache, so that subsequent calls to properties are returned from the
cached object.

I look forward to have this analyzed by Daniel. Obviously there are
some extra things that need to be added, but also other things simply
go away painlessly... Can you write a advantage/disadvantage
comparison on the wiki, Daniel, to be commented upon?

Gregor