On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Romaine Wiki <romaine_w...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Wikidata has grown rapidly the past weeks, a community of users is active
> now, and we are just in the beginning of Wikidata, but still already
> tremendous work already has been done with all the items with interwiki's
> added. We all have picked up Wikidata enthusiastic, and I think we all want
> to get further with it very much. The project fits the needs of the
> communities very much.
>
> My personal background is to translate and explain the technical stuff to
> users on wiki's, and return the feedback to the developers, as most users
> consider bugzilla and technical things far far far away.
>
> The weekly summary is great to have, but for more transparency it would be
> nice to have a time line, or otherwise a clear (expected) date when the next
> big change will be (like with the deployment of new MediaWiki versions).
> Reading the e-mails and reading on meta, I almost only see the technical
> changes which are coming, but for the communities on Wikidata and Wikipedia's
> it would be great to know when the next step in content adding will be
> possible.

There are simply no fixed dates for that. That's the reason no dates
are published ;-) It's basically done when it is done. I am sorry we
can't be more specific about that. There are things influencing
schedules that are out of our hand.

> Also it would be nice to have a list of those things that will be possible in
> the future, but have no date yet to be implemented. The reason for this is
> double:
> * On local communities I notice a lot of stories, fables and myths of how
> Wikidata will be in future, but often with no ground.

Please name them and I am happy to give a definitive answer.

> * Also there are a lot of things that would have potential on Wikidata. Yes
> sure, I can add it to Wikidata:Contact_the_development_team but already my
> last comment is archived somewhere and out of sight.

Everything there is looked at and handled by me. Things we will
implement are moved to bugzilla. Nothing is lost.

> I think it would be good to make clear which specific content additions will
> be possible in future. I think we should have a list which states what
> content will be in next deployment and what content will be later on. I read
> somewhere about Link_FA, Link_GA, but also IMDb, IBDB, VIAF, but also of
> course Commons. A lot others are too on
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Authority_control

Neither of those will be in the next deployment. It is pretty certain
that all of them will be possible at some point.

> Currently VIAF is in discussion and willing to be added on some wiki's, but
> with Wikidata it can be done much easier. Any plans for it?

Linking to a VIAF id? That will be possible. I can't tell you when.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.