> If I'm not mistaken this is what we plan to do. The current system we're
> using for the language links can certainly handle it, as it's not WP
> specific.

that would be great!

On top of my wish list are the Wiktionaries, since most of the
entities needed to use Wikidata for descriptive knowledge are provided
only on summary pages (dozens of terms in one page) on Wikipedias,
whereas the Wiktionaries define them as pages.

And I believe it will strengthen Wikidata if it can be open to open
data initiatives outside of the Wikimedia Foundation. Clearly there
needs to be control which initiatives are accepted as valid
authoritative sources of identifiers, but I wonder whether the
interwiki list is not already a good mechanism for this? If the
interwiki list could be supplemented with a generic definition how to
make an ajax-identifier lookup call, to present the user a picklist,
this could be a huge long-term benefit (i.e. it could be used by
Wikidata, but also in any Wikipedia when using a more powerful visual
editor).

Gregor