Marco wrote:
> So I assume that single facts (or database items) are not copyrightable just
> like single words. Only the database (or even a view?) as a selection and
> arrangement of various items is copyrightable.

Yes, a database may be copyrightable, if the creativity in selecting
and arranging information is copyrightable. This possibility exists in
many countries and is completely different from database rights.

To which extent case law provides a copyright protection and which
level of creativity is required varies in each state. In the EU, the
database rights directive addresses also database copyrights and tries
to harmonize it among EU member states.

However, the database right is a completely separate right. It exists
only in the EU, and it has nothing to do with the argument above.

Gregor