On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Nikola Smolenski <smole...@eunet.rs> wrote:

> On 08/01/13 12:36, Denny Vrandečić wrote:
>
>> Location:
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Wikidata/Development/**
>> Representing_values#**Geolocation<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Development/Representing_values#Geolocation>
>> >

> I'm not sure if we should be going that far, but there may be cases where
> longitude and latitude are known with different degree of accuracy, so
> multiple precisions might be needed.

I think it's worth taking a look at what MaxSem has done with the GeoData
extension, which is used for mobile apps, etc.:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GeoData

GeoData uses globe, as that's consistent with how coordinate templates are
done now on Wikipedia.  I think starting simple and consistent with GeoData
and the coordinate templates is good.

If no "globe" parameter is specified in the coordinate template, then Earth
is assumed (and lat/long -- WGS84).

For the moon, selenographic coordinates are assumed and there are other
reference "globes" for other planets and moons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selenographic_coordinate

Perhaps things can get more complex later and having WGS84 coordinates
wouldn't interfere with that.

Cheers,
Katie

Katie Filbert
Wikidata Developer

Wikimedia Germany e.V. | NEW: Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
Phone (030) 219 158 26-0

http://wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Germany - Society for the Promotion of free knowledge eV Entered
in the register of Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg under the number 23
855 as recognized as charitable by the Inland Revenue for corporations I
Berlin, tax number 27/681/51985.